Monday, April 19, 2010

Can anyone out there in Blogland give me a convincing argument why the possession and use of marijuana should be illegal? Well...I'm waiting...
Ha! I didn't think so!!
Think about it. Smoking MJ feels good, it's relaxing, it doesn't smell as bad as cigarettes, it doesn't give you lung cancer, it doesn't make you loud and angry and prone to wreck your car, like alcohol does. So what's not to like? I ask people this question all the time, an no one has a good answer. About all they can come up with is something about it being a "gateway drug." It'll lead to taking worse things.
Well, listen up, guys. Life is a gateway drug! Everything you do leads to something else that's worse than the last thing. When you're a baby, you start out drinking milk, and the next thing you know you're eating cholesterol-laden butter and cheese. Omigod, the cheese! It's everywhere! Then you start out riding your pollution-free bicycle and when you grow up you go on to driving a smoke-belching Hummer. When you reach puberty, you harmlessly jack off, and by the time you're 17 you're impregnating every girl in your class.
There's nothing in life that's free of consequences, so why outlaw a little weed that can make you forget, for a few precious minutes, how fucked up everything is?
I shouldn't bother asking this question. I know at least one of the answers. People who don't drink or smoke or dance or make-love-for-pleasure-instead-of-procreation don't enjoy life, and they want to make sure no one else does either. They would like to legislate against anything and everything that could bring joy to the lives of people who are capable of experiencing it. But as long as the pleasure-seekers continue to seek ways to enhance that pleasure, they will defy the senseless law and obtain the means to that end. The Temperance advocates succeeded in passing the 18th amendment to the U.S. constitution, and we all know how well that worked out. Thirteen years of chaos, as citizens continued to seek alcohol and crime flourished. A strong demand will always be supplied.
IMHO, marijuana should be legal. It could be regulated and taxed, as are alcohol and tobacco. Think of the potential revenue, all you legislators who are reading this! (Yeah, right. Legislators read my blog religiously.) Prison overcrowding could be substantially reduced. Some dealers may have to get real jobs!
And then we can move on to considering legalizing other drugs as well. Can you just imagine the reduction in world-wide crime if marijuana and coca-derived drugs were legalized? The drug cartels in Mexico? Pfffft! All gone! Street thugs in the U.S.? Considerably reduced. If their drugs were legal, they would probably be cheaper and the users wouldn't have to steal as much to supply themselves. Poppy farmers in Afghanistan would not have to worry about their crops being confiscated. Just imagine the RAGE in the plains states in the U.S. if suddenly the diet police passed a law making wheat illegal?
I could go on and on, but I don't want to tax your patience.

9 comments:

Cody Taylor said...

Great post it should be legal. Smoking cigarettes was my gateway drug in my high school days. I've never done anything except Mushrooms and pot and I only did the shrooms once. In my neck of the woods K2 is popular and it's a synthetic form of MJ, it really gets you fucked but it's not natural and even though it brings in a ton of state revenue Missouri is trying to ban it. Goddamn what next.

Unknown said...

Hey Ms. Z... I love your convictions and passion for your argument...

While I am not a smoker, I agree.

will said...

Can't argue with you about the Dairy Mafia's products ... but I've never been convinced ANY ingested, inhaled or needled altered state is that necessary for enjoying life.

And if someone is so "fucked up" by life's slings and arrows, sorry, they need meds, not recreational products.

And, it's a bullshit spurious argument to say, people who don't drink, or smoke or dance want to take away other people's fun.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Wheat should certainly be made illegal for a month so people are forced to try different types of bread. Have you ever tried barley bread? Mmm-hmm.

MommyHeadache said...

No it's true it is a gateway drug -I knew quite a few kids who moved on to X, coke and heroin after starting on MJ but you could avoid that aspect if it was made legal and you bought it at the pharmacy like M&Ms.

one drawback for some people like me is it makes you massively paranoid - I prefer drinking to weed personally

Madam Z said...

CT and BB, thanks for agreeing with me.

Not Evan, I certainly didn't meant to imply that an "altered state is that necessary for enjoying life." It's just one more way to enjoy life.

And MJ vs. meds? Sorry, but those meds have some undesirable side effects too. And anyway, I certainly was not advocating MJ for clinical depression!

Now...as for my "bullshit spurious argument...I'm not backing down. Why do some people want to outlaw consensual sodomy and various other "deviant" sexual practices? What difference does it make to them? If you don't want to buttfuck, don't do it! It's none of their business what I, an adult of sound mind, drink, smoke, eat, or otherwise do with my body, as long as I don't harm anyone else. Of course, it's reasonable to set age limits for use of drugs, just as for alcohol and tobacco, and to prohibit driving under the influence. There are obviously defensible reasons for those restrictions.

And believe me, I know first hand the terrible consequences of excessive alcohol consumption. An alcoholic step-father and an alcoholic husband have made me a bitter foe of booze. But I would not, for one minute, recommend another round of prohibition. It didn't work then and would not work now, just as the laws against drugs do not work. It just encourages crime.

GB, while I do enjoy barley bread, I recommend that you stay away from the midwest if you plan to promote your anti-wheat idea. :)

EmmaK, my intention in this post was not to PROMOTE pot consumption, just to legalize it for those people who enjoy it. If you'd rather drink, you're fortunate, since booze is still legal...for now anyway.

Dra90nR1d3r said...

I've been clean and sober since Dec 24, 1994. I remember that day as clear as yesterday. Why I quit, there are alot of reasons. That being said, I would love to see weed legal. Tax and control it like cigarettes and alcohol. Sell to everyone over eighteen, ( I would be back in line at the store ;) Of course, that would be common sense thing to do. Because any way you look at it, people are going to smoke reefer and get high. As far as I know, it's still the largest cash crop in Calf, so some one is growing it, tax them, it would help the Govenator.....

Unknown said...

People should have no need to consume any drug to produce a high that exists in their own nature.
Please read my article in solutions to the world's problems,at bukisa/glorystory page and find a real solution to devastation that drugs have caused our society,and help everyone's health and recruit drug users to abstain and help topple the powerful narc politicians and other dark organized crime alliances that bring harm to our world.

Harry said...

I haven't smoked weed in ages but I definitely agree with your arguments. And not only the dealers could get jobs that actually contributed to society, the DEA could too.