Friday, February 29, 2008


See what I'm doing with my "extra day?" I'm looking at more entertaining ads from the '30s. One of my favorites is this reassurance from the medical front.
-
Hey, if DOCTORS smoke Camels, they must be safe, right? Is that a real doctor in the photo, or is he just playing one on camera? Who cares?
Pass me a stogie, Doc.




And then, we have these care-free guys, cheerfully pointing out the likelihood of

your imminent death, so don't worry -be happy! Smoke your face off!



And if you're STILL not convinced, especially you men out there
who might be having a little difficulty leading a lady into temptation,
check out this sure-fire trick:

-

Don't try it with me, though, or I'll snatch that Tipalet out of your hand and grind it into your eyeballs. Smoking CAN be dangerous to your health!



9 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

"Smoking is slow suicide" said a teenage girl, two years before she started smoking.

fingers said...

Speaking of tapeworms and cigarettes...
I saw a doco in which 6 live tapeworms were placed in a beaker of plain water, while another 6 were placed in a beaker of water containing trace amounts of nicotine. The worms in the water lived for 3 weeks, while the worms in the solution died an aginising death in a matter of minutes.
So, obviously, if you smoke you won't get tapeworms...

Madam Z said...

Mr. Bananas: "Slow suicide" is preferable to fast suicide, because you have a chance to change your mind somewhere along the way.

fingers: No, Silly! If you smoke, you can still get tapeworms, but they won't live long enought to gobble up your fat, so that defeats the purpose!

Distributorcap said...

madam z

remember all the sexy cigarette ads from the 1960's -----

i think they were banned on Jan 1, 1971

Josh said...

The last time I blew on a girls face the only place she followed me was around the bedroom with a clenched fist....how times have changed.

Anonymous said...

I love old ads! For a while I got hooked on Jack Benny radio shows and I got a kick out of the Lucky Strikes commercial spots.

Creepy said...

Yeah, I miss the days of being able to blow cigarette smoke in a gal's face. We're going to hell in a handbasket.

But at least I know now the next time I get a tapeworm all I have to do is start smoking again!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Great ads.

Writeprocrastinator said...

"she'll follow you anywhere."

Yes, but with a baseball bat.